Cold claims lives of five nomads in Kashmir
Srinagar: Intense cold due to fresh snowfall in the Pir Panchal range has claimed the lives of five nomads, including two children, in Kulgam district of South Kashmir, police said on Friday.
Seventeen others were rescued from the area, SP, Kulgam, Keshev Ram Chourasya said.
The bodies of the five persons, who belonged to two families, were found from Bahak Gajimarg in Damhal Hanjipora, 75 kms from here, last evening.
The nomads hailing from Chinkipora Reasi district have died of cold as there was fresh snowfall in the Pir Panchal range in the past few days, police said.
The deceased were identified as Khali Begum (30), Nizama Jan (6), Salma Jan (2), Zamer Jan (60) and Mehjibeen (55).
About 150 sheep and goats also perished in the incident.
Meanwhile, students of a middle school at Puhro-Kokernag, 70 kms from here, in South Kashmir had a narrow escape after being caught in a cloud burst yesterday.
The students had just gone out for recess when the calamity struck. However, the school building suffered substantial damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers