Cold conditions continue in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Cold conditions continued in Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region as the minimum temperature in most parts dropped by several degrees with the mercury in Kargil town settling 23 degrees below the freezing point.
Kargil, in Ladakh region, continued to be the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir as the mercury settled at a low of minus 23.0 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 21.8 degrees Celsius the previous night, an official of the MeT Department here said.
The town had recorded the season?s coldest night at minus 23.4 degrees Celsius on Tuesday.
The nearby Leh town registered a low of minus 15 degrees Celsius as against minus 15.9 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Srinagar, the summer capital of the state, witnessed a drop of two degrees as the minimum temperature fell to minus 4.0 degrees Celsius last night.
Mercury in Pahalgam resort in south Kashmir, which serves as base camp during annual Amarnath yatra, settled at minus 11.6 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 12.4 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 11.0 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 10.8 degrees Celsius.
Mercury in Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir Valley - dipped by almost four degrees to settle at minus 5.7 degrees Celsius, as against the previous night`s minus 1.8 degrees Celsius.
Kokernag and Kupwara towns registered minimum temperatures of minus 5.0 degrees Celsius and minus 4.0 degrees Celsius respectively, the official said.
The day temperature in the Valley has started improving as the sun shone brightly for third consecutive day today. The MeT Department has said there is a possibility of rainfall for two days from tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital