Cold conditions prevail in J&K
Srinagar: Leh in frontier region of Ladakh continued to be the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir, where the night temperatures are on the decline after last week`s snowfall.
The minimum temperature recorded in Leh town was minus 12.2 degrees Celsius, the season`s lowest so far in any part of the state, a MeT department spokesman said.
Kargil, also in Ladakh region, was the second coldest place in the state with a low of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg, 50 kms from here in north Kashmir, witnessed a few notches improvement in the night temperature compared to the night before as the mercury settled at minus 5.0 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
However, the summer capital of Srinagar, like most parts of the valley, registered a dip in the night temperature, which was recorded at minus 2.9 degrees Celsius compared to yesterday`s minus 1.6 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature recorded at Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir valley, was minus 3.4 degrees Celsius, while Pahalgam hill resort was freezing at minus 4.6 degrees Celsius.
The MeT department predicted brief relief from the intense cold during the night of December 7 as the sky is set to get cloudy.
The high altitude areas of Kashmir valley witnessed the first heavy snowfall of the season on November 28-29, while plains including Srinagar were lashed by incessant rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark