Cold conditions prevail in J&K
Srinagar: Leh in frontier region of Ladakh continued to be the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir, where the night temperatures are on the decline after last week`s snowfall.
The minimum temperature recorded in Leh town was minus 12.2 degrees Celsius, the season`s lowest so far in any part of the state, a MeT department spokesman said.
Kargil, also in Ladakh region, was the second coldest place in the state with a low of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg, 50 kms from here in north Kashmir, witnessed a few notches improvement in the night temperature compared to the night before as the mercury settled at minus 5.0 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
However, the summer capital of Srinagar, like most parts of the valley, registered a dip in the night temperature, which was recorded at minus 2.9 degrees Celsius compared to yesterday`s minus 1.6 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature recorded at Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir valley, was minus 3.4 degrees Celsius, while Pahalgam hill resort was freezing at minus 4.6 degrees Celsius.
The MeT department predicted brief relief from the intense cold during the night of December 7 as the sky is set to get cloudy.
The high altitude areas of Kashmir valley witnessed the first heavy snowfall of the season on November 28-29, while plains including Srinagar were lashed by incessant rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!