Cold returns to J&K, dry weather to persist
Srinagar: After a brief respite, cold wave conditions returned to trouble people as night temperatures hovered several degrees below the freezing point across the Kashmir Valley.
The MeT office has predicted dry weather for few more days. Snowfall on Thursday had brought relief from intense cold weather as temperatures across the Valley rose in the last few days.
However, as the weather remained dry, the minimum temperature plummeted across the Valley including Srinagar which recorded a low of minus 3 deg C as against the previous night`s minus 0.5 deg C, a MeT department spokesman said.
The minimum night temperature in Pahalgam hill resort in south, which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra, fell by over four notches from yesterday`s minus 8.5 deg C to minus 13.2 deg C, he said.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was over a degree colder at minus 11.8 deg C than the previous night`s minus 10.4 deg C, the spokesman said.
The highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a low of minus 6.4 deg C while night temperature in Kokernag was minus 6.7 deg C, he said, adding that in north Kashmir`s Kupwara town the minimum settled at minus 4.3 deg C.
Night temperature also plummeted in Leh town in the cold desert of Ladakh where the minimum settled at minus 20 deg C, making it the coldest recorded place in the state. The minimum in Leh the previous night was minus 13.6 deg C, the spokesman said.
Kargil, also in the frontier region of Ladakh, registered a low of minus 13.2 deg C as against the previous night`s low of minus 14 deg C, he said.
The MeT office said cold and dry conditions will prevail for few more days and the minimum temperatures are expected to fall further.
There is possibility of light rainfall or snowfall on January 23 and 24, especially in the higher reaches, the office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly