Cold returns to J&K, dry weather to persist
Srinagar: After a brief respite, cold wave conditions returned to trouble people as night temperatures hovered several degrees below the freezing point across the Kashmir Valley.
The MeT office has predicted dry weather for few more days. Snowfall on Thursday had brought relief from intense cold weather as temperatures across the Valley rose in the last few days.
However, as the weather remained dry, the minimum temperature plummeted across the Valley including Srinagar which recorded a low of minus 3 deg C as against the previous night`s minus 0.5 deg C, a MeT department spokesman said.
The minimum night temperature in Pahalgam hill resort in south, which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra, fell by over four notches from yesterday`s minus 8.5 deg C to minus 13.2 deg C, he said.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was over a degree colder at minus 11.8 deg C than the previous night`s minus 10.4 deg C, the spokesman said.
The highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a low of minus 6.4 deg C while night temperature in Kokernag was minus 6.7 deg C, he said, adding that in north Kashmir`s Kupwara town the minimum settled at minus 4.3 deg C.
Night temperature also plummeted in Leh town in the cold desert of Ladakh where the minimum settled at minus 20 deg C, making it the coldest recorded place in the state. The minimum in Leh the previous night was minus 13.6 deg C, the spokesman said.
Kargil, also in the frontier region of Ladakh, registered a low of minus 13.2 deg C as against the previous night`s low of minus 14 deg C, he said.
The MeT office said cold and dry conditions will prevail for few more days and the minimum temperatures are expected to fall further.
There is possibility of light rainfall or snowfall on January 23 and 24, especially in the higher reaches, the office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley