Cold tightens its grip in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Chilly weather continued to
maintain its grip over Kashmir Valley with the minimum
temperature across the region hovering several degrees below
Mercury in the summer capital Srinagar settled at a low
of minus 3.5 degrees Celsius, a drop of 2.1 degrees, a Met
The mercury in Srinagar city, which had witnessed a
slight respite from the extreme cold weather since a spell of
snowfall, today dipped again.
The night temperature in the famous skiing resort of
Gulmarg in north Kashmir plunged to minus 14.6 degrees
Celsius, a drop of two degrees from yesterday, he said.
In south Kashmir`s tourist resort of Pahalgam, the
minimum temperature was recorded at minus 7.8 degrees Celsius,
a drop of 2.8 degrees.
The south Kashmir gateway town of Qazigund recorded a low
of minus 5.2 degrees Celsius, a decrease of 3.8 degrees, while
north Kashmir`s frontier town of Kupwara recorded a minimum of
minus 6.7 degrees Celsius, down by of 2.9 degrees from
yesterday, the official said.
The snowfall earlier this week came as a big relief for
the people, bringing an end to the intense cold wave during
which the mercury had plunged to minus 7.8 degrees Celsius in
Srinagar city and plunged 19 degrees below freezing point in
Leh town in remote Ladakh region recorded a minimum of
minus 15.6 degrees Celsius, an increase of one degrees from
Wednesday, the official said.
The minimum temperature in the nearby Kargil district,
also in Ladakh region, slipped to a low of minus 16.8 degrees
Celsius, he said.
The MeT department forecasts fresh snowfall and rain at
many places in Kashmir region and at few places in Ladakh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla