Cold tightens its grip in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Chilly weather continued to
maintain its grip over Kashmir Valley with the minimum
temperature across the region hovering several degrees below
Mercury in the summer capital Srinagar settled at a low
of minus 3.5 degrees Celsius, a drop of 2.1 degrees, a Met
The mercury in Srinagar city, which had witnessed a
slight respite from the extreme cold weather since a spell of
snowfall, today dipped again.
The night temperature in the famous skiing resort of
Gulmarg in north Kashmir plunged to minus 14.6 degrees
Celsius, a drop of two degrees from yesterday, he said.
In south Kashmir`s tourist resort of Pahalgam, the
minimum temperature was recorded at minus 7.8 degrees Celsius,
a drop of 2.8 degrees.
The south Kashmir gateway town of Qazigund recorded a low
of minus 5.2 degrees Celsius, a decrease of 3.8 degrees, while
north Kashmir`s frontier town of Kupwara recorded a minimum of
minus 6.7 degrees Celsius, down by of 2.9 degrees from
yesterday, the official said.
The snowfall earlier this week came as a big relief for
the people, bringing an end to the intense cold wave during
which the mercury had plunged to minus 7.8 degrees Celsius in
Srinagar city and plunged 19 degrees below freezing point in
Leh town in remote Ladakh region recorded a minimum of
minus 15.6 degrees Celsius, an increase of one degrees from
Wednesday, the official said.
The minimum temperature in the nearby Kargil district,
also in Ladakh region, slipped to a low of minus 16.8 degrees
Celsius, he said.
The MeT department forecasts fresh snowfall and rain at
many places in Kashmir region and at few places in Ladakh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal