Cold wave conditions return to Kashmir
Srinagar: Cold wave conditions returned to Kashmir Valley after a day`s respite as the minimum temperatures in most parts fell by several degrees and the weather continued to remain dry.
Fog continued for the second day on Tuesday, but minimum temperatures across the Valley and Ladakh region plummeted below the freezing point, a MeT Department official said here.
Srinagar recorded a minimum of -2.4 degrees Celsius, down almost three notches from the previous night`s low of 0.4 degrees Celsius, he said.
The night temperature in Pahalgam, a tourist resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra in south Kashmir, also dropped by three notches from the previous night`s low of -1.5 degrees Celsius to settle at a low of -4.5 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature in the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg settled at -2.0 degrees Celsius, as against last night`s 0.6 degree Celsius, he said.
The night temperature in Kupwara, in north Kashmir, settled at a low of -2.8 degrees Celsius against last night`s -2.0 degrees Celsius, while Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a low of -2.4 degree Celsius, over two notches down as compared to 0.3 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The south Kashmir town of Kokernag registered a minimum of -1.0 degree Celsius, over two notches down from previous night`s 1.1 degrees Celsius, he said.
Leh, in Ladakh region, recorded a low of -10.8 degrees Celsius, same as the previous night, the official said, adding that it continues to be the coldest recorded place in the state.
The minimum temperatures in the nearby Kargil town settled at -6.0 degrees Celsius, against previous night`s -5.8 degrees Celsius.
There would not be any major change in the weather, which would continue to remain dry for the next 24 hours, the MeT office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal