Cold wave conditions return to Kashmir
Srinagar: As the dry spell continued, cold wave conditions returned to Kashmir after a few days of respite, with the minimum temperatures dropping by several degrees across the Valley and the mercury in most places settling below the freezing point.
Srinagar recorded a drop of over three degrees in the night temperature with the mercury settling at a low of minus 0.8 degree Celsius as compared to the previous night`s 2.3 degrees Celsius, a MeT Department official said.
The night temperature in the tourist resort of Pahalgam also decreased by over three degrees to settle at a low of minus 2.8 degrees Celsius from the previous night’s low of 0.7 degree Celsius, he said.
The mercury in the ski-resort of Gulmarg settled at a low of minus 2.4 degree Celsius, a drop of two degrees from minus 0.4 degree Celsius the previous night, the official said.
Kokernag in south Kashmir recorded a low of 1.1 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s 2.8 degrees Celsius, while Kupwara town in north recorded a minimum temperature of minus 1.9 degrees Celsius as against minus 1.3 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Qazigiund - the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 1.4 degrees Celsius, a drop of almost two degrees as against the last night’s 0.4 degrees Celsius, he said, adding that Leh continued to be the coldest place in the state.
However, the minimum temperature in the frontier town of Ladakh region increased from the previous night?s minus 8.5 degrees Celsius to settle at minus 5.8 degrees Celsius.
The nearby Kargil town recorded a low of minus 3 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s minus 3.8 degrees Celsius, he said.
Though the MeT Department has said there is a possibility of light rain or snowfall at a few places in the higher reaches of the Valley on December 11, it added that there would not be any big change in the weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video