Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Kargil coldest at -19.2 deg C
Srinagar: Cold wave continued in Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region as the minimum temperature in most parts settled below the freezing point, with the frontier town of Kargil being the coldest place in the state at over minus 19 degrees Celsius.
Kargil was the coldest recorded place in the state with the mercury settling at minus 19.2 degrees Celsius last night as against the previous night`s minus 18.4 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature in Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, continued to settle above the freezing point for the fourth day today as the city recorded a low of 0.6 degrees Celsius as against 0.9 degrees Celsius the previous night, an official of the MeT Department here said.
Mercury in Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir valley - settled at minus 0.4 degrees Celsius as against minus 1.0 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kokernag, in south Kashmir, recorded a low of minus 1.7 degrees Celsius as compared to the previous night`s minus 1.3 degrees Celsius.
Mercury in the tourist resort of Pahalgam, also in south Kashmir, settled at a low of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius - almost same as the previous night`s low of minus 5.5 deg C.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg registered a low of minus 8.2 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 8.4 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a low of 0.6 degrees Celsius, he said.
Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, recorded a low of minus 12.3 degrees Celsius, over eight degrees down from the minus 4 degrees C the previous night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10