Cold wave continues in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Residents across Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region continued to shiver as the minimum temperatures hovered several degrees below the freezing point on Sunday, with water supply lines and water bodies, including the world famous Dal Lake, freezing under the intense chill.
Leh town in the cold desert of Ladakh continued to be the coldest place in the state with the night temperature registering a low of -18.4 degrees Celsius, a spokesman of Met department said.
In Kargil, also in the frontier region of Ladakh, the minimum night temperature was -14.4 degree Celsius.
The night temperature in summer capital Srinagar, which recorded the coldest night of this winter yesterday at a low of -5.8 degree Celsius, settled a notch above at -4.8 degree Celsius.
The minimum night temperature in the highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir was -8.2 degree Celsius as against yesterday`s -8 degree Celsius.
The night temperature in Kokernag settled at a low of -8.3 degree Celsius, up by almost 2 degrees compared to yesterday`s 10.2 degree Celsius, he said.
In north Kashmir`s Kupwara town, where the previous night`s minimum was -4.8 degree Celsius, the minimum temperature settled at a low of -5.3 degree Celsius during the night.
The minimum night temperature in Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir was slightly up at -11.4 degree Celsius from the previous night`s minus -12.4 degree Celsius, he said, adding, the ski-resort of Gulmarg shivered at a low of -8 degree Celsius.
The Met office has said the weather will remain dry till the end of this month, with no major respite in cold wave conditions, indicating a drop in the night as well as day temperatures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results