Cold wave intensifies in Kashmir and Ladakh
Srinagar: Cold wave conditions in the Kashmir Valley and Ladakh intensified Saturday even as the weather office predicted another spell of snowfall in the region next week.
"The cold wave conditions have intensified because of clear night skies in the valley and the Ladakh region. Leh Saturday recorded the coldest temperature of the season so far at minus 21.8 degrees while Kargil town recorded minus 21.0 degrees. The minimum temperature fell down to minus 5.0 degrees in Srinagar while it was minus 16.5 degrees in Pahalgam," Sonam Lotus, director of the meteorological office said here.
Lotus also said another spell of moderate snowfall was likely to occur in the valley between January 23 and 26.
"The snowfall could be rather heavy in the Pir Panjal mountain range," Lotus said.
Little traffic was seen on the roads of Srinagar Saturday morning because of highly slippery road conditions.
The surface of the Dal Lake continues to remain frozen at most places, with fisherman and boatmen unable to row in the frozen waters of the lake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test