Srinagar: No eyewitnesses have come forward to record their statements before a judicial commission set up by Jammu and Kashmir government to probe 17 civilian deaths in the valley between June 11 and July 19 this year as the deadline for filing of affidavits ended today.
"So far we have not received any affidavits at any of the three offices set up for the purpose," a source in the Commission of Inquiry told a news agency here.
They said many persons had approached the Commission after the public notice was issued on August 31.
"They promised to come back after Eidul Fitr with the affidavits but since the law and order situation deteriorated, they were not able to report to the commission," he said.
The Commission is likely to meet tomorrow to decide whether to extend the date for filing of affidavits. It might also seek an extension to its three-month term as it has not been able to begin probe into the killings even afterone-and-half months of its formation, they said.
The Commission, headed by SHRC Chairman Justice (retd) Syed Bashiruddin Ahmad, issued a public notice on August 31, seeking information from persons, groups or organizations having any knowledge about incidents which led to the killings, beginning with the death of 17-year-old Tufail Ahmad Mattoo after he was allegedly hit by a teargas shell at Rajouri Kadal on June 11.
The commission was appointed by the state government on July 27 on the recommendations of the all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
To facilitate appearance of the witnesses, the commission has set up a sub-office each in Baramulla and Anantnag towns in addition to the main office here.