Committee deliberates on removal of Disturbed Area Act from JK
Srinagar: In the first step for possible
removal of controversial AFSPA, a high-powered committee
comprising State government officials and a top army commander
was held on Thursday to review withdrawal of Disturbed Area Act from
Srinagar and Budgam.
Sources said the meeting discussed the ongoing security
scenario and assessed law and order situation in the two
districts. However, no decision was yet known on the issue.
They said the Committee will submit minutes of its
deliberation to the concerned authorities based on which
appropriate decision would be taken.
The meeting was attended by Director General of Police
Kuldeep Khoda, Principal Secretary (Home) B R Sharma and
Command of the Army`s key 15 Corps which guards the Line of
Control (LoC) in Kashmir Valley, Lt Gen S A Hasnain among
Sources said the meeting assumes significance as Army has
been dillydallying to participating in the meeting. They said
a high-level intervention has forced Army to attend the
meeting without elaborating details.
They said a similar committee of DGP, Home Secretary and
Army Corps Commander based at Nagrota will review the
withdrawal of the Act in Jammu.
As per norms, once the Disturbed Area Act is removed, the
Armed Forces Special Powers Act automatically ceases to be in
force. The Jammu and Kashmir government has been for long
seeking removal of AFSPA from the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!