Communal tension grips Poonch after vehicles set afire
Jammu: Tension gripped the border town of Poonch after members of a community torched vehicles belonging to another community during an encroachment drive, police
The trouble rose when government land was being vacated by a team of district officials, police and village defence committee members in Kunaya village in Poonch district
late last night, they said.
During the drive, over 200 members of a community pelted stones at the team and raised religious slogans, they said.
The mob also hurled stones on houses belonging to a particular community and burnt several motorcycles triggering tension, they said.
Police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in the area to bring the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days