Communal tension grips Poonch after vehicles set afire
Jammu: Tension gripped the border town of Poonch after members of a community torched vehicles belonging to another community during an encroachment drive, police
The trouble rose when government land was being vacated by a team of district officials, police and village defence committee members in Kunaya village in Poonch district
late last night, they said.
During the drive, over 200 members of a community pelted stones at the team and raised religious slogans, they said.
The mob also hurled stones on houses belonging to a particular community and burnt several motorcycles triggering tension, they said.
Police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in the area to bring the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand