Communal tension grips Poonch after vehicles set afire
Jammu: Tension gripped the border town of Poonch after members of a community torched vehicles belonging to another community during an encroachment drive, police
The trouble rose when government land was being vacated by a team of district officials, police and village defence committee members in Kunaya village in Poonch district
late last night, they said.
During the drive, over 200 members of a community pelted stones at the team and raised religious slogans, they said.
The mob also hurled stones on houses belonging to a particular community and burnt several motorcycles triggering tension, they said.
Police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in the area to bring the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi