Complete shutdown in Srinagar over firing in Pulwama
Srinagar: Separatist leaders from Jammu and Kashmir on Monday called for a shutdown in the state to protest against police firing on civilians in Pulwama district.
All shops, business establishments, schools, colleges and government offices would remain closed and the public transport would also remain off from the roads.
The leader of hardliner faction of the Hurriyat Conference, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, has given the call for complete shutdown in Srinagar as a mark of the protest against the firing.
A local, Fahad told the reporters that the firing by the Army on the civilians sparked protests in the Pulwama district.
“Geelani (Leader of Hurriyat, Syed Ali Shah Geelani) had called for a shutdown against the encounter which took place two or three days back in Pulwama and 15 civilians were injured. All the shops would remain closed as the valley is observing shutdown,” he said.
In an operation launched by the police, paramilitary force and the army, the security forces gunned down a militant in the Chandgam area of Pulwama district on Friday (December 28).
The police and the armed forces launched the joint operation after they received information about presence of rebels in the area.
The police along with the personnel of 55 Rashtriya Rifle (RR) and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) cordoned the village and started house-to-house search.
During the search operation, the militants hiding in the village started firing.
In an attempt to avert any untoward situation, the authorities have deployed police and Para Military forces at vital places across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested