Complete shutdown in Srinagar over firing in Pulwama
Srinagar: Separatist leaders from Jammu and Kashmir on Monday called for a shutdown in the state to protest against police firing on civilians in Pulwama district.
All shops, business establishments, schools, colleges and government offices would remain closed and the public transport would also remain off from the roads.
The leader of hardliner faction of the Hurriyat Conference, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, has given the call for complete shutdown in Srinagar as a mark of the protest against the firing.
A local, Fahad told the reporters that the firing by the Army on the civilians sparked protests in the Pulwama district.
“Geelani (Leader of Hurriyat, Syed Ali Shah Geelani) had called for a shutdown against the encounter which took place two or three days back in Pulwama and 15 civilians were injured. All the shops would remain closed as the valley is observing shutdown,” he said.
In an operation launched by the police, paramilitary force and the army, the security forces gunned down a militant in the Chandgam area of Pulwama district on Friday (December 28).
The police and the armed forces launched the joint operation after they received information about presence of rebels in the area.
The police along with the personnel of 55 Rashtriya Rifle (RR) and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) cordoned the village and started house-to-house search.
During the search operation, the militants hiding in the village started firing.
In an attempt to avert any untoward situation, the authorities have deployed police and Para Military forces at vital places across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli