Cong asks J&K govt to grant safe land to border people
Jammu: Congress on Monday asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to grant land at safer places for people living along Indo-Pak border, in view of frequent ceasefire violations and firings.
Senior Congress leader and Jammu MP Madan Lal Sharma, who conducted an extensive tour of border villages in R S Pura, appealed to the state government to "allot five marla plot to affected people on the International Border (IB) and Line of Control (LoC) in the safer zone beyond firing range."
Sharma also demanded construction of bunkers for the civil population in border villages so that they can take shelter during firing.
He appealed to the state to declare border belts on IB as Reserved Under Backward Areas (RBA).
He asked the administration to carry out a detailed assessment and register all affected residents, so as to provide proper support.
Sharma conducted an extensive tour of border villages of R S Pura Block including Gharani, Gharana , Kapoorpur, Avdal, Nai Basti, Gulab Garh, Suchetgarh, Khotorana, Khotorana Khurud, Abdullian, Chandu Chak, Bega, Bera, Samka, Raipur, Tokani, Hanso Chak, Chak Jujuia, and Fathepur.
He demanded that adequate relief and ration be provided to households which were unable to earn their livelihood due to the ceasefire violation along the border.
He also sought enhancement in compensation to the victims of the border firing at par with the victims of militancy in the state.
Currently, victims of border firing are entitled to Rs 1 lakh while militancy victims are entitled to Rs 5 lakh.
He also demanded special on-spot recruitment of affected people in police with age/qualification relaxation, as their education and life had suffered due to wars and violence.
Sharma also demanded an increase in rent of land given to Army while suggesting that the Army should acquire the land and provide suitable compensation to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe