Cong asks J&K govt to grant safe land to border people
Jammu: Congress on Monday asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to grant land at safer places for people living along Indo-Pak border, in view of frequent ceasefire violations and firings.
Senior Congress leader and Jammu MP Madan Lal Sharma, who conducted an extensive tour of border villages in R S Pura, appealed to the state government to "allot five marla plot to affected people on the International Border (IB) and Line of Control (LoC) in the safer zone beyond firing range."
Sharma also demanded construction of bunkers for the civil population in border villages so that they can take shelter during firing.
He appealed to the state to declare border belts on IB as Reserved Under Backward Areas (RBA).
He asked the administration to carry out a detailed assessment and register all affected residents, so as to provide proper support.
Sharma conducted an extensive tour of border villages of R S Pura Block including Gharani, Gharana , Kapoorpur, Avdal, Nai Basti, Gulab Garh, Suchetgarh, Khotorana, Khotorana Khurud, Abdullian, Chandu Chak, Bega, Bera, Samka, Raipur, Tokani, Hanso Chak, Chak Jujuia, and Fathepur.
He demanded that adequate relief and ration be provided to households which were unable to earn their livelihood due to the ceasefire violation along the border.
He also sought enhancement in compensation to the victims of the border firing at par with the victims of militancy in the state.
Currently, victims of border firing are entitled to Rs 1 lakh while militancy victims are entitled to Rs 5 lakh.
He also demanded special on-spot recruitment of affected people in police with age/qualification relaxation, as their education and life had suffered due to wars and violence.
Sharma also demanded an increase in rent of land given to Army while suggesting that the Army should acquire the land and provide suitable compensation to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees