Cong, NC agree on seat sharing in J&K Legislative Council polls
Jammu: Ruling out any differences with its coalition partner in J&K over seat sharing in April 13
Legislative Council elections, Congress on Saturday said that it will contest two seats while ally NC will field candidates from three seats.
"The coalition has no differences. We have total unanimity and have arrived at consensus to contest five seats in elections to Legislative Council," Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee (JKPCC) President Saif-ud-Din Soz said.
Rejecting media report of differences between NC and Congress, Soz said his party has withdrawn its candidates from the two seats from Kashmir to be contested by National Conference (NC).
He expressed confidence that the coalition will take "five out of six seats, while one seat is likely to go to PDP".
While NC will contest three seats, Congress will contest two seats, he said, adding, "We have given one more seat to the NC with full consensus and unanimity between the coalition partners".
Congress` Jehangir Mir and Yashpal Khajuria will contest from Poonch and Jammu seats, he said, adding NC has withdrawn its candidate Shehnaz Ganai from the seat in support of the Congress.
Similarly, NC`s DV Oberoi and Bashir Ahmed Veeri will contest in Kashmir Valley where Congress has withdrawn its two candidates- Abdul Gani Vakil and GN Monga.
Another NC candidate Noor Hussain will contest from Jammu, he said. Former minister Abdul Gani Vakil is also out of the race for a berth in the Upper House as he withdrew his nomination on the direction of JKPCC chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees