Cong observes 190th coronation anniversary of J&K Maharaja
Jammu: To mark the 190th anniversary of Maharaja Gulab Singh`s coronation, Congress party on Sunday observed `Tilak Divas` at a function organised on the bank of river Chenab in Akhnoor.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh had solemnised the coronation of Raja Gulab Singh as Maharaja of the erstwhile princely state of Jammu and Kashmir at Jia Pota on June 17, 1822.
Minister for Health, Horticulture and Flori-culture, Sham Lal Sharma was chief guest on the occasion.
Paying rich tributes to Maharaja Gulab Singh, the minister said the late king`s contribution to Jammu and Kashmir would remain etched in the minds of every person of the state.
Highlighting the historical importance of Akhnoor town, Sham said that the government has decided to ensure development of the town.
Various schemes in Public Health Engineering, Tourism, Education, Health and other sectors have been started in this regard, he said.
He said the government had also planned to set up a Dogra library in Akhnoor.
Sham said that efforts were being made to restore the glory of heritage sites to attract more tourists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users