Cong observes 190th coronation anniversary of J&K Maharaja
Jammu: To mark the 190th anniversary of Maharaja Gulab Singh`s coronation, Congress party on Sunday observed `Tilak Divas` at a function organised on the bank of river Chenab in Akhnoor.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh had solemnised the coronation of Raja Gulab Singh as Maharaja of the erstwhile princely state of Jammu and Kashmir at Jia Pota on June 17, 1822.
Minister for Health, Horticulture and Flori-culture, Sham Lal Sharma was chief guest on the occasion.
Paying rich tributes to Maharaja Gulab Singh, the minister said the late king`s contribution to Jammu and Kashmir would remain etched in the minds of every person of the state.
Highlighting the historical importance of Akhnoor town, Sham said that the government has decided to ensure development of the town.
Various schemes in Public Health Engineering, Tourism, Education, Health and other sectors have been started in this regard, he said.
He said the government had also planned to set up a Dogra library in Akhnoor.
Sham said that efforts were being made to restore the glory of heritage sites to attract more tourists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg