Cong observes 190th coronation anniversary of J&K Maharaja
Jammu: To mark the 190th anniversary of Maharaja Gulab Singh`s coronation, Congress party on Sunday observed `Tilak Divas` at a function organised on the bank of river Chenab in Akhnoor.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh had solemnised the coronation of Raja Gulab Singh as Maharaja of the erstwhile princely state of Jammu and Kashmir at Jia Pota on June 17, 1822.
Minister for Health, Horticulture and Flori-culture, Sham Lal Sharma was chief guest on the occasion.
Paying rich tributes to Maharaja Gulab Singh, the minister said the late king`s contribution to Jammu and Kashmir would remain etched in the minds of every person of the state.
Highlighting the historical importance of Akhnoor town, Sham said that the government has decided to ensure development of the town.
Various schemes in Public Health Engineering, Tourism, Education, Health and other sectors have been started in this regard, he said.
He said the government had also planned to set up a Dogra library in Akhnoor.
Sham said that efforts were being made to restore the glory of heritage sites to attract more tourists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice