Congress Minister defends Azad govt on `violation` of Roshni Act
Jammu: A Congress minister on Sunday defended the former Ghulam Nabi Azad government in Jammu and Kashmir in the wake of CAG`s disclosure that it framed rules in violation of the Roshni Act to cause a Rs 25,000 crore land-transfer scam.
Hitting out at the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), Congress leader and Minister of State for Revenue Ajaz Ahmed Khan said its report, which forms the basis of the allegations, was "speculative".
"I felt that somewhere the report is wrong. It is based on presumption and speculation," Khan said during a press conference here.
"The (CAG) report should... Should have been based on facts. The Public Accounts Committee would deliberate on it and then it will come to us (and we will) see what we can do," Khan alleged.
He added that the State Vigilance Organisation had already started a probe into the matter and the J-K government would cooperate with the same.
Agreeing with charges that massive land transfers to encroachers under the Roshni Act was possibly the "biggest scam" in Jammu and Kashmir, the state`s Principal Accountant General Subash Chandra Pandey had yesterday indicted the Azad government of 2007 for making rules in violation of the law.
"The state government had estimated (the value of) such land at Rs 25,000 crore in 2006. You can think of the value of this land today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price