Congress Minister defends Azad govt on `violation` of Roshni Act
Jammu: A Congress minister on Sunday defended the former Ghulam Nabi Azad government in Jammu and Kashmir in the wake of CAG`s disclosure that it framed rules in violation of the Roshni Act to cause a Rs 25,000 crore land-transfer scam.
Hitting out at the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), Congress leader and Minister of State for Revenue Ajaz Ahmed Khan said its report, which forms the basis of the allegations, was "speculative".
"I felt that somewhere the report is wrong. It is based on presumption and speculation," Khan said during a press conference here.
"The (CAG) report should... Should have been based on facts. The Public Accounts Committee would deliberate on it and then it will come to us (and we will) see what we can do," Khan alleged.
He added that the State Vigilance Organisation had already started a probe into the matter and the J-K government would cooperate with the same.
Agreeing with charges that massive land transfers to encroachers under the Roshni Act was possibly the "biggest scam" in Jammu and Kashmir, the state`s Principal Accountant General Subash Chandra Pandey had yesterday indicted the Azad government of 2007 for making rules in violation of the law.
"The state government had estimated (the value of) such land at Rs 25,000 crore in 2006. You can think of the value of this land today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'