Congress slams VK Singh over his claim on Army payments
New Delhi: Former Army chief V K Singh`s remarks that certain ministers in Jammu and Kashmir were paid to buy stability in the state drew sharp reaction from Congress, with a former Chief Minister expressing shock and a party spokesman slamming Singh for his "irresponsible" statement.
Union Minister and former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad expressed shock and curiosity over Singh`s claims, and said, "I was myself shocked to know this, because I have been myself the Chief Minister.
"I have no knowledge about this and I am as curious as you are to know about the names of the persons who were being paid and who are being paid," he said when asked to comment on the ex-Army chief`s claims.
He said he had been the Chief Minister of the state for two-and-a-half years and Singh`s claims made on television were "news to me".
"I have no clue and had no clue at that point of time that such things are being done or such things are happening in the state," Azad said.
Congress spokesperson P C Chacko slammed the former Army Chief, saying such "irresponsible" statements brought "disgrace" to the Army.
"What he has said, I do not think he himself can prove it," Chacko said.
"Even a retired general is a general....He should not be making such statements," he added.
Azad said, "If I never came to know, how does the present or earlier Chief Minister would know this."
Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh said, "He (Singh) should have said this while he was in service. Why is he saying all this when he has retired?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack