Congress to contest Assembly polls in Jammu and Kashmir `alone`, ends alliance with NC
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad on Sunday announced the end of years of alliance with National Conference in Jammu and Kashmir ahead of the upcoming Assembly polls in the state.
Azad said that the party wanted to emerge as the single largest party in the state and complete pending projects.
He said that the party will contest Assembly elections in the state alone which are due to be held in coming few months.
AICC general secretary Ambika Soni also confirmed the decision and said that Congress will contest on the 87 state Assembly seats alone.
President of National Conference, Omar Abdullah, took to Twitter and said that the decision to not have any pre-poll alliance was conveyed to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi around 10 days back.
He further said that it would be “incorrect” to say that the decision related to the upcoming Assembly polls was taken by Congress.
Congress had held a meeting last month to deliberate on the strategy for the upcoming polls and to decide whether party will contest Assembly polls alone last month.
Senior party leaders including Azad and JKPCC president Saifuddin Soz were present among others.
Both Congress and NC entered into alliance in 2008 after hung Assembly verdict.
The coalition failed to win votes on the six Lok Sabha seats in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE