Congress to contest Assembly polls in Jammu and Kashmir `alone`, ends alliance with NC
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad on Sunday announced the end of years of alliance with National Conference in Jammu and Kashmir ahead of the upcoming Assembly polls in the state.
Azad said that the party wanted to emerge as the single largest party in the state and complete pending projects.
He said that the party will contest Assembly elections in the state alone which are due to be held in coming few months.
AICC general secretary Ambika Soni also confirmed the decision and said that Congress will contest on the 87 state Assembly seats alone.
President of National Conference, Omar Abdullah, took to Twitter and said that the decision to not have any pre-poll alliance was conveyed to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi around 10 days back.
He further said that it would be “incorrect” to say that the decision related to the upcoming Assembly polls was taken by Congress.
Congress had held a meeting last month to deliberate on the strategy for the upcoming polls and to decide whether party will contest Assembly polls alone last month.
Senior party leaders including Azad and JKPCC president Saifuddin Soz were present among others.
Both Congress and NC entered into alliance in 2008 after hung Assembly verdict.
The coalition failed to win votes on the six Lok Sabha seats in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3