Congress to launch campaign in J&K to galvanise party
Srinagar: With an eye on the upcoming Assembly polls, Jammu and Kashmir Congress today said it would start a state-wide campaign to strengthen the party.
The decision was taken at a meeting between Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad and president of Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee (JKPCC) Saifuddin Soz here late last evening, a spokesman of the party said.
The campaign will galvanise the party at the grass-root level in all the three regions of Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir, the spokesman said.
He said the leaders reviewed the political situation of the state in the backdrop of the recently-concluded Lok Sabha polls in which of the Congress-National Conference coalition were defeated in all the six constituencies.
While PDP won the three Lok Sabha seats in Kashmir, BJP registered victory in the three seats in Jammu and Ladakh.
"Both leaders agreed that it was the need of the hour that the state unit close its ranks and ensure that the Congress remains strong, secular and unifying force in all the three regions of the state," the spokesman said.
The assembly elections are scheduled later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- ICC likely to make 12-team main draw in 2018 World T20
- 50,000 fans register for Xiaomi Mi Max launch event
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!