Construction on for world`s highest rail bridge
Srinagar: The country is inching towards a
world record with the construction of highest rail bridge over
Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir going on in full swing.
To be built at a height of 359 metre over river Chenab,
the rail bridge will be 35 metre taller than the Eiffel Tower
in Paris. Currently, the world`s tallest bridge is on France`s
Torn river. Its tallest pillar has height of 340 m while the
actual height at which the trains run on the bridge is 300 m.
"Once the construction is completed, the bridge will
qualify for world record," Northern Railway Chief
Administrative Officer Chahatey Ram said.
Coming up at a distance of 65 km away from Katra, the
bridge is a crucial link in the Kashmir rail project
connecting Katra with Qazigund.
Constructed by Konkan Railway, the 1,315-metre-long
Chenab bridge is estimated to consume about 25,000 million
tonnes of structural steel.
As a precaution measure, the Railways have decided not to
allow trains cross the Chenab bridge if the wind velocity is
more than 90 km per hour.
If the wind velocity is more than 90 km then it might
cause tilting of the train at this height. So the signalling
system is designed in such a way that it would not give green
signal when the wind speed is not favourable, Ram said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India