Cop attempts suicide in J&K
Kishtwar: A 24-year-old police constable allegedly attempted suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle.
Sahil Sharma shot himself with his service rifle inside the guard room at CID headquarters in Kishtwar while performing his duty yesterday afternoon, officials said on Tuesday.
On hearing the gun shot, other policemen rushed to the spot and found Sharma lying in a pool of blood, they said, adding that he was shifted to the nearby hospital.
The doctors conducted an operation of the injured constable but in view of his critical condition and loss of blood, they referred him to Government Medical College hospital at Jammu.
As per the doctors, Sharma suffered a bullet injury on the left side of his chest.
Efforts areas being made to probe the reasons that prompted the constable to take the extreme step, they said.
In wake of the recent violence in Kishtwar, senior police officials had decided not to sanction leave in favour of police personnel posted in the district, according to sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Separated Indian, Pakistani siblings meet in UAE after 48 yrs
- CPI(M) leader Sushanta Ghosh slapped in West Bengal court premises
- On eve of Greece visit, Putin says problems with EU can be solved
- President Mukherjee lists 8 steps to resolve issues between India, China
- READ: What Ashish Nehra has to say about his Viral Photo with Virat Kohli