Cop attempts suicide in J&K
Kishtwar: A 24-year-old police constable allegedly attempted suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle.
Sahil Sharma shot himself with his service rifle inside the guard room at CID headquarters in Kishtwar while performing his duty yesterday afternoon, officials said on Tuesday.
On hearing the gun shot, other policemen rushed to the spot and found Sharma lying in a pool of blood, they said, adding that he was shifted to the nearby hospital.
The doctors conducted an operation of the injured constable but in view of his critical condition and loss of blood, they referred him to Government Medical College hospital at Jammu.
As per the doctors, Sharma suffered a bullet injury on the left side of his chest.
Efforts areas being made to probe the reasons that prompted the constable to take the extreme step, they said.
In wake of the recent violence in Kishtwar, senior police officials had decided not to sanction leave in favour of police personnel posted in the district, according to sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender