Cop attempts suicide in J&K
Kishtwar: A 24-year-old police constable allegedly attempted suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle.
Sahil Sharma shot himself with his service rifle inside the guard room at CID headquarters in Kishtwar while performing his duty yesterday afternoon, officials said on Tuesday.
On hearing the gun shot, other policemen rushed to the spot and found Sharma lying in a pool of blood, they said, adding that he was shifted to the nearby hospital.
The doctors conducted an operation of the injured constable but in view of his critical condition and loss of blood, they referred him to Government Medical College hospital at Jammu.
As per the doctors, Sharma suffered a bullet injury on the left side of his chest.
Efforts areas being made to probe the reasons that prompted the constable to take the extreme step, they said.
In wake of the recent violence in Kishtwar, senior police officials had decided not to sanction leave in favour of police personnel posted in the district, according to sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!