Cops crackdown on Lal Chowk, adjoining areas after intel input
Srinagar: Police on Friday carried out a crackdown in the city`s commercial hub Lal Chowk and its adjoining areas following intelligence inputs that militants might try to sneak in.
All traffic between Residency Road and Amirakadal Bridge was suspended and people present along the one kilometre stretch were asked to queue up for frisking, police said.
No one was arrested during the hour-long operation which was a common sight during the 1990-2000 decade when militancy was at its peak.
The sources said the operation was carried out in view of inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city to disturb peace by carrying out subversive activities.
A police spokesman, however, refused to give any detail of the operation saying "no comments".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India