Cops crackdown on Lal Chowk, adjoining areas after intel input
Srinagar: Police on Friday carried out a crackdown in the city`s commercial hub Lal Chowk and its adjoining areas following intelligence inputs that militants might try to sneak in.
All traffic between Residency Road and Amirakadal Bridge was suspended and people present along the one kilometre stretch were asked to queue up for frisking, police said.
No one was arrested during the hour-long operation which was a common sight during the 1990-2000 decade when militancy was at its peak.
The sources said the operation was carried out in view of inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city to disturb peace by carrying out subversive activities.
A police spokesman, however, refused to give any detail of the operation saying "no comments".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- AirAsia India launches promotional fares starting at Rs 786 for one-way domestic trips
- Edward Snowden loses lawsuit against Norway to prevent extradition
- This summer, fight Melanoma with some simple tricks!
- Wimbledon: British No. 3 Kyle Edmund faces 1st round exit.
- 'Bad cholesterol not linked to elderly deaths'