Cops crackdown on Lal Chowk, adjoining areas after intel input
Srinagar: Police on Friday carried out a crackdown in the city`s commercial hub Lal Chowk and its adjoining areas following intelligence inputs that militants might try to sneak in.
All traffic between Residency Road and Amirakadal Bridge was suspended and people present along the one kilometre stretch were asked to queue up for frisking, police said.
No one was arrested during the hour-long operation which was a common sight during the 1990-2000 decade when militancy was at its peak.
The sources said the operation was carried out in view of inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city to disturb peace by carrying out subversive activities.
A police spokesman, however, refused to give any detail of the operation saying "no comments".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog