Cops crackdown on Lal Chowk, adjoining areas after intel input
Srinagar: Police on Friday carried out a crackdown in the city`s commercial hub Lal Chowk and its adjoining areas following intelligence inputs that militants might try to sneak in.
All traffic between Residency Road and Amirakadal Bridge was suspended and people present along the one kilometre stretch were asked to queue up for frisking, police said.
No one was arrested during the hour-long operation which was a common sight during the 1990-2000 decade when militancy was at its peak.
The sources said the operation was carried out in view of inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city to disturb peace by carrying out subversive activities.
A police spokesman, however, refused to give any detail of the operation saying "no comments".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'