Cops take the lead in beacon lights removal in J&K
Jammu: J&K Police on Wednesday took the lead in removing `beacon lights` from their vehicles after the Supreme Court yesterday banned its use with flashers on all vehicles except those used by high dignitaries holding constitutional post.
State`s top cop Ashok Prasad took the first step removing beacons from his official vehicles followed by his additional Director Generals of Police (ADGPs).
"Police has initiated removal of beacons from their vehicles following the SC ruling. The DGP took the lead by ordering removal of his beacons from his official vehicles followed by all the ADGPS and others officers down below today," a senior police officer told PTI.
DGP Ashok Prasad has passed strict orders to the Police for implementation of the SC directive on the use of red beacons in letter and spirit, he said.
The SC court on Tuesday said red beacons could be used only on vehicles of high constitutional dignitaries and blue or multi-coloured lights should be used only on emergency services and police vehicles.
However, the blue beacons would be used by the Station House Officers (SHOs) and other emergency services officials, officer said adding the directions have passed in this direction to all the Police force in this regard.
It may be recalled that Chief Minister Omar Abdullah yesterday advocated the removing of red beacons from official vehicles saying if the Prime Minister of the country does not need it, why should anyone else.
"It`s amazing how some people are married to this symbol of power. If the PM doesn`t need a red beacon why should anyone else," Omar post on Twitter.
"I look forward to instructing my people to remove the red beacons from my official vehicles also now," he said.
"I must admit I`ll be happy to see this red beacon culture go. I never use one on my private vehicles and don`t see the need for one anyway," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends