Copters deployed for relief works in Kishtwar
Jammu: The army and civil administration
carried out relief operations in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kishtwar
district for the second day today as helicopters were deployed
to ferry medicines and food packets to people caught up in
higher areas due to unseasonal heavy snowfall.
Relief works were progressing and copters were used to
carry medicines, food stocks and blankets to worst-hit Warwan
area, officials said.
Heavy snowfall on May 28 and 29 resulted in loss of
about 3,000 livestock besides immense damage to properties in
Marwah and Wadwan areas of the hilly district.
Authorities are yet to confirm any human loss of life.
However, unconfirmed reports put the death toll at around 20
and missing persons at over 100.
"We are yet to get a full picture about the human loss
or death. Army, Police and civilian teams have gone to the
areas and the full details will emerge soon," Additional
District Development Commissioner (ADDC) of Kishtwar Nazir
Refuting media reports of death of people, he said it is
too premature to arrive at the conclusion as no bodies were so
Helicopters of Indian Air Force (IAF) today ferried
relief materials including food packets, blankets, medicine
and other items to Warwan valley of the district.
The helicopters took off from Udhampur-based IAF station
and dropped relief materials at various places for people
caught in the high-altitude areas engulfed by heavy snow.
A joint relief column comprising of army doctors,
civilian veterinary doctors, police personnel and officials of
district administration were airlifted from Kishtwar to
Warwan, Brigadier General Staff (BGS), 16 corps Brig Gurdeep
The unseasonal snowfall mainly affected Gujjars and
Bakerwals who migrate to the higher reaches in search of fresh
pastures for their livestock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Black money: Govt to ban cash transactions of above Rs 3 lakh
- Must see pics! Incredible images of lava from Hawaii’s volcano cascading into the ocean (Photo feature)
- A month on, search continues for missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- PM Modi calls for dialogue, accepts development alone can't bring 'lasting solution' to Kashmir
- Seoul, Washington start war game despite Pyongyang's backlash