Corruption inquiry ordered against former J&K minister
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir State Accountability Commission (SAC) on Wednesday ordered a regular inquiry into allegations of corruption and misuse of official position by a former minister and Congress MLA.
The probe against former roads and buildings minister GM Saroori was ordered by a division bench of the Commission comprising chairman Justice (retd) YP Nargotra and Justice (retd) Hakim Imtiyaz Hussain.
After hearing complainant Saquib Mushtaq, the commission also issued a notice to Saroori, who is the Congress MLA from Inderwal in Jammu region, asking him to respond to the allegations within six weeks.
The case has been listed for hearing on July 8.
Mushtaq, in his complaint, has levelled various allegations of corruption and misuse of official position against Saroori and has submitted photocopies of several documents in support of the charges.
"The complainant alleges that during the period the respondent was holding the said portfolio, about 2,000 works were allotted by (his) department without tenders, and that the same being not in accordance with law has caused huge loss to the state exchequer," the order read.
The bench noted that although Saroori has denied the above charges in a communication to the Commission in November last year, "we are not inclined to absolve him of his inaction in the matter (as), being the minister-in-charge... He was bound to keep a vigil and control on the working of the department".
"Going by the number of contracts allotted without inviting tenders, it prima facie appears that getting the works executed without inviting tenders was the norm then to which the respondent was a mute spectator," the order stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh