‘Cosmic rays’ create panic in Kashmir
Srinagar: Panic gripped residents of Kashmir Valley Tuesday night following rumours that cosmic rays from Mars had entered Earth which can lead to harmful effects on mobile users.
As soon as the rumours started doing rounds of the Valley late last evening, people made frantic calls to media houses to check the authenticity of the reports which they claimed were attributed to international agencies.
Instead of switching off the mobile phones as advised by the rumour mongers, the call traffic increased manifold till late hours, an official of the BSNL said.
Divisional Administration of Kashmir clarified that there was no truth in the reports and people need not panic.
There are reports that people all around the world are receiving false messages attributed to international agencies that cosmic rays are entering Earth from Mars and have asked people to switch off their mobile phones at night, an official of the Divisional Administration said in a statement.
"Please don`t pay heed to these rumours and help educate others. Spreading rumours and unsubstantiated warnings is unethical and against the law," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'