Court work in Kashmir Valley hit as lawyers go on strike
Srinagar: Work in courts of Kashmir Valley
was Monday hit due to a two-day strike called by a lawyers` body against detention of its president under Public Safety Act (PSA).
Members of Kashmir High Court Bar Association (KHCBA)
abstained work in the courts, including the state High Court,
demanding immediate release of their President Mian Abdul
The lawyers affiliated with KHCBA, who sat on a dharna
last Saturday, had decided to go on the strike for two days
against continued detention of Qayoom in a Kathua jail.
Although the courts were functional, the proceedings
in the cases could not be conducted as the lawyers were on the
The protesting lawyers alleged that Qayoom was being held in jail on fabricated charges and the government was not even honouring the orders of the courts.
The Bar president was arrested in July last year and
booked under Public Safety Act (PSA) for his alleged
involvement in fuelling the summer protests last year.
The High Court quashed his detention under PSA but the
state government filed two separate cases against him and
lodged him at a Kathua jail in Jammu region.
He was granted bail by the trial court earlier this week and was expected to be released Saturday. However, the
relatives of the Bar president were informed that he has been
slapped with a fresh case of PSA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH