CPI (M) demands ban on use of pepper gas, mass arrests in J&K
Jammu: Expressing serious concerns over the alleged use of pepper gas by police against protesters in the Valley, the state unit of CPI (M) on Monday said authorities maintaining law and order should do away with such practise.
Referring to media reports which claimed that exposure of pepper gas had led to the death of an asthma patient and termination of pregnancy of another woman recently, CPI-M`s State Secretary Mohammad Yousuf Tarigami strongly condemned the incidents and demanded stern action against the guilty.
"This practise needs to be done away with, sooner the better. These measures are not acceptable in a civilised society where protests and dissent are seen as an inseparable part of democracy," he observed.
Condemning the mass arrests of political leaders and the youth during protests across the Valley, the CPI (M) leader demanded their immediate release.
"Hundreds of youths have been framed in false cases and currently a fresh wave of arrests has been started," he said.
"These methods of crowd control had resulted in mental trauma of youth which has affected them seriously," Tarigami added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs