CPI to government: address alienation of Kashmiris
New Delhi: The Communist Party of India (CPI) on Thursday asked the government to take political and economic initiatives to address the alienation that Kashmiris feel trapped in.
"It is disturbing to learn that 50-60 people are dead and 1,800 people have sustained injuries (in the last two months of unrest in the Kashmir Valley)," CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta said in the Lok Sabha.
He was participating in a special debate on the prevailing unrest in the state that he said had brought "life to a standstill".
"Commoners are the worst sufferers... While it is true pelting of stones has turned it into the stone war as if we have gone back to the Stone Age, but right or wrong there have been complaints of excessive use of force by security forces," Dasgupta said.
He said that the government needed to take note of "an element of anguish" in Kashmiris.
"There is an element of deep feelings of sorrow... There is a sense of alienation among the large number of people in Kashmir."
The CPI leader said there was a "genuine ground for grievances and that genuine grievance is exploited by the people who are unfriendly...they would not have been successful if there was no genuine grievance".
He said the "widening gap" between the government and the people was an "unfortunate tragedy for the Indian democracy".
"The political system as it exists in that part of the country has failed to represent the aspirations of the people."
He said the presence of security forces would not address the grievance of the people.
"People of Kashmir must have an accountable government. Therefore, political package, a political initiative and economic development, fruitful economic development, should take place in Kashmir," he said.
According to him "peace in Kashmir does depend on the peace in subcontinent".
"It is a reality... Talks with Pakistan must go on for normal relationship and, therefore, peace dialogue with Pakistan is an important element for bringing peace in Kashmir," Dasgupta said.
He said broadening the framework of autonomy within the framework of constitution of India will help to solve the problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in