CPI(M) activists demonstrate against rise in price
Srinagar: Activists of CPI(M), led by Jammu and Kashmir State Secretary M Y Tarigami, today staged a demonstration here against the proposed food legislation and continuous rise in prices of essential commodities in the country.
Carrying banners and placards, the CPI(M) activists and supporters assembled outside the Press Enclave at Partap Park and tried to take out a march to submit a memorandum to the office of Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir.
However, the march was not allowed by policemen who were guarding the demonstrators who dispersed off peacefully shortly Tarigami after addressed them.
Strongly opposing the proposed food legislation, Tarigami said it will lead to "food insecurity".
"The unwillingness of the government to spend a meagre one per cent of the GDP for ensuring food security to the people shows its real concern for poor.
On the contrary, it prefers to give tax concessions worth Rs 5 lakh crore in a single year to big business and corporate houses," Tarigami said criticising the UPA government at the centre for its policies.
Criticising the specific proposals to limit food security benefits to those whom the Planning Commission declares to be "below poverty Line", he said such an aggregate only represents massive statistical underestimation.
"The present poverty line figures of Rs 26 a day for an adult in rural India and Rs 32 in urban India continues to be the basis for access to Public Distribution System (PDS), which means larger sections of the poor will be legally excluded from the right to food," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani