CPI(M) concerned over poor power situation in J&K
Srinagar: Expressing concern over the precarious power situation in rural areas of Jammu and Kashmir, state unit of CPI(M) on Monday said the administration is "hell-bent" upon keeping the people in darkness.
"People living in rural and far flung areas are without electricity and the recent snowfall has aggravated the crisis. Even areas receiving erratic power supply are for the most of the time facing numerous problems on account of low voltage and the people are compelled to arrange alternative sources of illumination during the hours, they receive electricity," party state secretary MY Tarigami said in a statement here.
He said Power Development Department (PDD) has failed to create a buffer stock of electricity transformers at divisional level to address the situation surfaced due to damaged transformers.
The step-down transformers, installed in every neighbourhood develop technical snags and the consumers are left helpless in darkness and freezing cold till the process of lifting, repairing and re-installing a faulty transformer is completed in weeks together, Tarigami claimed.
"Even the people in many parts of Kashmir Valley have complained that they are compelled to collect money for repair of their damaged transformers as the department concerned fails to repair and install their transformers in time," the CPI(M) leader said.
He blamed the faulty polices of PDD for the damages of electricity transformers.
Referring to media reports, the CPI(M) leader said there are more than 400 damaged electric transformers lying in various workshops for repairs in Kashmir Valley.
According to these reports, Tarigami said throughout the Valley, more than 150 villages are without power since the recent snowfall on January 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks