CPI(M) condemns civilian killings in Shopian
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) today demanded an apology from the state government over the killing of three innocent civilians in CRPF firing in Shopian district last week.
"If the government has any moral authority, it should apologise for the killing of the three youth in Shopian on Saturday. The Chief Minister (Omar Abdullah) being the head of the coalition government should express regret over the loss of innocent lives," said state Secretary of CPI(M) M Y Tarigami.
Four persons were killed in CRPF firing in Shopian on Saturday just five hours ahead of the music maestro Zubin Mehta`s musical concert `Ehsaas-e-Kashmir`.
Meanwhile police yesterday said that while three of the killed youth had no militant links, the fourth was a Pakistani militant Abdullah Haroon.
Tarigami demanded a time-bound judicial probe into the incident to fix responsibility and punishing the culprits to send a message that no one is above the law.
"A message has to go to security forces that they have to work within the law and there is accountability in the system. This impunity for the killings has to end, or else the consequences can be disastrous not only for Jammu and Kashmir but for the entire country," he added.
He said police declaration that three out of four persons killed in Gagran shootout were civilians vindicates the public stand.
"These killings are heinous and condemnable. As such the anger in the area is justifiable and in no way should be deemed unnecessary," he said.
He urged the government to provide ex-gratia relief to next of kin of slain youths, besides government jobs on compassionate grounds.
Tarigami lamented that administration deals with every situation either by imposing curfew or letting lose the police batons on people.
"How long can this go on? The government must talk to civil society in Shopian and surrounding areas. We demand curfew and curbs in Shopian and elsewhere, should be lifted as people there are immensely suffering due to acute shortage of food and other essential supplies.
"Not only the patients are facing immense problems due to the unavailability of life saving drugs, but farmers and orchardists are not able to attend their fields, orchards in this important season for their crop," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared