CPIM demands universal PDS to ensure food security for all
Jammu: Seeking a universal Public Distribution System (PDS) to cover country`s entire population under the food security net, CPI(M) supporters today staged a protest in Gandhi Nagar area of the city.
Led by party`s regional secretary Sham Prasad Kesar, a large number of party workers participated in the protest at the Green Belt Park.
Holding red flags and placards, the protesters also carried out a rally in support of their demand and handed over a memorandum to the Divisional Commissioner.
"It is only reasonable that a minimum of 35 kg of foodgrains at a maximum price of two rupees should be provided (to the entire population)," said Kesar, noting that the move has become imperative in the wake of spiralling prices of all commodities, especially food items.
Claiming that the targeted distribution system has failed to meet its objective, Kesar pressed for higher foodgrains production by getting country`s farmers along, to achieve the food security target.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?