CPIM demands universal PDS to ensure food security for all
Jammu: Seeking a universal Public Distribution System (PDS) to cover country`s entire population under the food security net, CPI(M) supporters today staged a protest in Gandhi Nagar area of the city.
Led by party`s regional secretary Sham Prasad Kesar, a large number of party workers participated in the protest at the Green Belt Park.
Holding red flags and placards, the protesters also carried out a rally in support of their demand and handed over a memorandum to the Divisional Commissioner.
"It is only reasonable that a minimum of 35 kg of foodgrains at a maximum price of two rupees should be provided (to the entire population)," said Kesar, noting that the move has become imperative in the wake of spiralling prices of all commodities, especially food items.
Claiming that the targeted distribution system has failed to meet its objective, Kesar pressed for higher foodgrains production by getting country`s farmers along, to achieve the food security target.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown