CPM calls for `bold initiatives` from India, Pak for peace
Srinagar: Voicing concern over escalation in skirmishes on LoC and International Border, Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) on Thursday called for "bold initiatives" from the leadership of India and Pakistan for cessation of hostilities.
"There is a need for bold initiatives from the leadership of India and Pakistan for cessation of hostilities that have taken a heavy toll so far," state Secretary of CPI(M) M Y Tarigami said in a statement here.
The increased incidents of ceasefire violation on Line of Control (LoC) and International Border has provided a room to jingoistic voices and war mongers who are adamant to deteriorate the fragile relations between the two countries, he said.
"In no case, war or jingoistic approach is in the interests of people of the two neighbouring countries," he said, adding the shelling from the other side of the border must come to an end, as soon as better.
"Such down slide in border situation not only generates fear and panic among the inhabitants of these areas but have the potential to escalate the situation beyond control. Families have migrated from borders and their condition is deplorable. The government must take measures to reach out to these families," he said.
He said the silencing of guns along the border had made other important initiatives possible which included the trade and travel across the LoC.
"But unfortunately, the incidents of skirmishes and hostilities along the border have derailed these efforts of formation of better understanding and amity between the two neighbouring countries, he said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic
- Updated WhatsApp with 'call back', voice mail, video calling features coming soon!
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report
- This is how Priyanka Chopra spends her day off from 'Baywatch' sets! Check out in pics