CPM calls for `bold initiatives` from India, Pak for peace
Srinagar: Voicing concern over escalation in skirmishes on LoC and International Border, Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) on Thursday called for "bold initiatives" from the leadership of India and Pakistan for cessation of hostilities.
"There is a need for bold initiatives from the leadership of India and Pakistan for cessation of hostilities that have taken a heavy toll so far," state Secretary of CPI(M) M Y Tarigami said in a statement here.
The increased incidents of ceasefire violation on Line of Control (LoC) and International Border has provided a room to jingoistic voices and war mongers who are adamant to deteriorate the fragile relations between the two countries, he said.
"In no case, war or jingoistic approach is in the interests of people of the two neighbouring countries," he said, adding the shelling from the other side of the border must come to an end, as soon as better.
"Such down slide in border situation not only generates fear and panic among the inhabitants of these areas but have the potential to escalate the situation beyond control. Families have migrated from borders and their condition is deplorable. The government must take measures to reach out to these families," he said.
He said the silencing of guns along the border had made other important initiatives possible which included the trade and travel across the LoC.
"But unfortunately, the incidents of skirmishes and hostilities along the border have derailed these efforts of formation of better understanding and amity between the two neighbouring countries, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says