CPM terms killing of four persons at Ramban as `barbaric`
Srinagar: Terming as "barbaric" the killing of four persons in Ramban district on Thursday, Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) asked the government to identify those responsible to ensure prompt action against them as per the law of the land.
"The demand for a judicial probe has lost its meaning... the government must now ensure that the culprits (behind the firing) are identified and booked without any time buying tactic," state secretary of CPI(M) MY Tarigami said in a statement here.
The BSF and the police authorities should unconditionally apologise to the families of victims and cooperate in the probe, he said.
"The killing of innocent civilians in Gool area of Ramban is the worst instance of misuse of power at the hands of those who are bound by law to protect the lives of citizens," Tarigami said.
"The killings reportedly at the hands of BSF and police are not only barbaric but also yet another instance of utter failure of the security establishment to rein in their forces and make them adhere to law of the land," Tarigami added.
The incident took place when a mob attacked a BSF camp in Ramban to protest alleged high-handedness of a patrolling party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened