CPM terms killing of four persons at Ramban as `barbaric`
Srinagar: Terming as "barbaric" the killing of four persons in Ramban district on Thursday, Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) asked the government to identify those responsible to ensure prompt action against them as per the law of the land.
"The demand for a judicial probe has lost its meaning... the government must now ensure that the culprits (behind the firing) are identified and booked without any time buying tactic," state secretary of CPI(M) MY Tarigami said in a statement here.
The BSF and the police authorities should unconditionally apologise to the families of victims and cooperate in the probe, he said.
"The killing of innocent civilians in Gool area of Ramban is the worst instance of misuse of power at the hands of those who are bound by law to protect the lives of citizens," Tarigami said.
"The killings reportedly at the hands of BSF and police are not only barbaric but also yet another instance of utter failure of the security establishment to rein in their forces and make them adhere to law of the land," Tarigami added.
The incident took place when a mob attacked a BSF camp in Ramban to protest alleged high-handedness of a patrolling party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games