Cracked Srinagar CRPF attack case: J&K Police
Srinagar: Police on Tuesday claimed to have cracked the suicide attack case on a CRPF camp here with the arrest of four persons, including an LeT militant from Pakistan, and recovered huge cache of arms, but said investigations did not prove that the attack was linked to execution of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"We have completed the investigations into the attack and cracked the case," Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kashmir, Abdul Gani Mir told reporters here.
A former militant, Mukhtar Shah, was the fourth person to be arrested in connection with the attack for providing logistical support to the fidayeens who stormed a CRPF camp in Bemina in central Srinagar on March 13, killing five jawans, the IGP said.
Investigations had not proved that the attack was a revenge attack for the execution of Guru, who was hanged in Tihar jail on February 9, he said.
"Investigations have not proved that this was a revenge attack," he said.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition was also recovered, he said. "Two AK 47s (with eight magazines), 240 AK rounds, one UBGL, 40 rifle grenades, 40 hand grenades, two pouches, two anti-tank mines, 12 RC`s, one map, two light bags, three GPS devices, two compasses, two wireless sets, two time bombs (charge, timer and detonators), pencil cell batteries and a transparent poly - pack containing `Made in Pakistan` medicines and ointment, have been recovered," he said.
"The investigations have been completed in the best manner and minimum possible time. We have made four arrests related to the case," he said.
"One Pakistani national Mohammad Zubair alias Talha Zaraar of Multan who belongs to LeT was arrested from Chattabal area of Srinagar and was the facilitator and controller of the two fidayeens (suicide militants)," Mir said.
Two former militants, Bashir Ahmad Mir and Mukhtar Shah, who provided logistical support to the attackers, have also been arrested, he said, adding, another person Pradeep Singh, a contractual government employee has also been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs