Creation of new administrative units election gimmickry: PDP
Srinagar: Opposition PDP in Jammu and Kashmir today alleged the state government has not followed any criteria while deciding on creation of new administrative units and it was an "election gimmickry" having potential to turn the situation "volatile".
"After government announced the decision, people in many areas have erupted in protests against injustice done to them by not including their areas in the list (of new units).
"Many people have said they would immolate themselves and I have apprehensions that God forbid some incident might happen and the situation may turn volatile," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti told reporters here.
The Leader of Opposition in the state legislature demanded that the government should listen to the protesting people and accept their genuine demands, saying "what difference would it make to add a few more areas to the list already increased by the government against Ganai`s recommendations".
She alleged that the National Conference-led government has "poisoned" the atmosphere in the state for their political gains.
"There is no area in Jammu and Kashmir, and especially in the Valley, where people are not protesting. This has turned into an area-wise fight. The atmosphere has been poisoned by the government only for their electoral gains. This is an election gimmickry," she said.
Mehbooba said the government did not follow any criteria while notifying the new units and the whole exercise was turned into a "symbol of prestige".
"PDP-Congress government had constituted Bloeria committee for this exercise and this government constituted Mushtaq Ganai committee for the purpose and only those two committees had the mandate to nominate any areas, but the government has not followed any criteria now and this has been a free for all exercise," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA