Cross-border tunnel: BSF seeks help from Army, GSI
Chachwal border (J&K): The BSF has sought help from Army, Geological Survey of India and other allied agencies for uncovering the remaining portion of the 400-m long cross-border tunnel detected in Samba sector.
Authorities on July 28 had detected the tunnel at a depth of 25 ft below the ground level along the Indo-Pak border in Samba district of Jammu and Kashmir.
The tunnel was detected when an area near Chillayari Border Out Post caved-in at two-three places after rains.
The tunnel, with a dimension of 3x3 ft and having air supply through 2-inch pipe, has been dug out between two sides along the international border on India`s Chillayari Border Out Post and Pakistan`s Numberiyal Border Out Post.
"We have requested experts from Army authorities, GSI, Geo-physics and seismology departments besides Geology and Mining to conduct digging to find out the extension and opening of the tunnel," Inspector General, BSF Headquarters, New Delhi, S K Mishra told reporters at Chillary Border Out Post here.
Besides these officials, help would be also sought from satellite imagery from ISRO, Mishra said adding that, "we will later take further action after it".
"We have been digging the tunnel further. We don`t know where is tunnel going, where is its opening point...We did not found so far," the IG said.
"The alignment is straight towards border fencing -- if you have seen the alignment, the tunnel is extending towards the border...So far, we have have reached the middle of the tunnel," he said.
The BSF official, who led the team from Delhi for inspection of site in Chachwal border hamlet, said the tunnel was constructed possibly with the purpose of infiltration and smuggling into Indian side.
Meanwhile, fear has gripped locals in the border area after the discovery of the tunnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row