CRPF fire warning shots to disperse stone pelters
Srinagar: CRPF personnel on Friday fired warning shots after their vehicle was attacked by a group of stone pelters outside the Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar, officials said.
Shortly after Friday prayers, a stone pelting mob attacked the CRPF vehicle and took away their bedding in the vicinity of the grand old mosque, the officials said.
A few shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob, they said. The miscreants later set the beddings on fire.
The officials said a large group of people took to the streets after Friday prayers and staged a demonstration against alleged human rights violations.
A section of the crowd turned violent and resorted to stone pelting on the passing security vehicles, prompting police to use batons to disperse them, the officials said.
The situation was brought under control and reinforcements rushed to the area to maintain law and order, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!