CRPF fire warning shots to disperse stone pelters
Srinagar: CRPF personnel on Friday fired warning shots after their vehicle was attacked by a group of stone pelters outside the Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar, officials said.
Shortly after Friday prayers, a stone pelting mob attacked the CRPF vehicle and took away their bedding in the vicinity of the grand old mosque, the officials said.
A few shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob, they said. The miscreants later set the beddings on fire.
The officials said a large group of people took to the streets after Friday prayers and staged a demonstration against alleged human rights violations.
A section of the crowd turned violent and resorted to stone pelting on the passing security vehicles, prompting police to use batons to disperse them, the officials said.
The situation was brought under control and reinforcements rushed to the area to maintain law and order, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Cristiano Ronaldo confident of Champions League glory despite injury scare
- Goa University Examination Results announced
- Herschel beams back exquisite image of newborn stars! - See pic
- Dutch coach Danny Blind flays Man Utd over Van Gaal sacking
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma again spotted together: Reports