CRPF fire warning shots to disperse stone pelters
Srinagar: CRPF personnel on Friday fired warning shots after their vehicle was attacked by a group of stone pelters outside the Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar, officials said.
Shortly after Friday prayers, a stone pelting mob attacked the CRPF vehicle and took away their bedding in the vicinity of the grand old mosque, the officials said.
A few shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob, they said. The miscreants later set the beddings on fire.
The officials said a large group of people took to the streets after Friday prayers and staged a demonstration against alleged human rights violations.
A section of the crowd turned violent and resorted to stone pelting on the passing security vehicles, prompting police to use batons to disperse them, the officials said.
The situation was brought under control and reinforcements rushed to the area to maintain law and order, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire