CRPF fire warning shots to disperse stone pelters
Srinagar: CRPF personnel on Friday fired warning shots after their vehicle was attacked by a group of stone pelters outside the Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar, officials said.
Shortly after Friday prayers, a stone pelting mob attacked the CRPF vehicle and took away their bedding in the vicinity of the grand old mosque, the officials said.
A few shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob, they said. The miscreants later set the beddings on fire.
The officials said a large group of people took to the streets after Friday prayers and staged a demonstration against alleged human rights violations.
A section of the crowd turned violent and resorted to stone pelting on the passing security vehicles, prompting police to use batons to disperse them, the officials said.
The situation was brought under control and reinforcements rushed to the area to maintain law and order, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report