CRPF jawan killed in J&K militant firing
Srinagar: A CRPF jawan was on Wednesday killed when suspected militants opened fire on a camp in Bemina locality of central Srinagar.
Constable Praveen Singh Rajput was hit by a bullet in the chest after unidentified gunmen opened fire on being challenged by the jawan near the 73rd battalion camp here.
Rajput, a resident of Madhya Pradesh, was on sentry duty when he observed suspicious movement outside the camp at around 2:30 am, a CRPF spokesman said, adding the jawan challenged the persons who fired 5-6 rounds towards the camp prompting retaliation.
Rajput was hit in the chest and he succumbed to injuries on way to hospital, he said.
The suspected militants fled the spot taking advantage of darkness, he said, adding a manhunt has been launched to nab them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list