CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir
Srinagar: A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper Sunday committed suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle in his camp in Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The incident took place in the 118 CRPF battalion complex in Gund village in the northern district of Ganderbal. The trooper was identified as constable Satyadan Meena.
"We are investigating the matter," a police officer said here.
Incidents of suicides and fratricidal shootouts have been reported among paramilitary and soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir since the separatist violence began 20 years back.
Long separation from families, hostile environment and lack of recreational facilities are often cited as reasons for the suicides and killings.
Counsellors have suggested periodic leaves, recreational facilities in the camps and better command and control structure as remedies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!