CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir
Srinagar: A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper Sunday committed suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle in his camp in Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The incident took place in the 118 CRPF battalion complex in Gund village in the northern district of Ganderbal. The trooper was identified as constable Satyadan Meena.
"We are investigating the matter," a police officer said here.
Incidents of suicides and fratricidal shootouts have been reported among paramilitary and soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir since the separatist violence began 20 years back.
Long separation from families, hostile environment and lack of recreational facilities are often cited as reasons for the suicides and killings.
Counsellors have suggested periodic leaves, recreational facilities in the camps and better command and control structure as remedies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick