CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir
Srinagar: A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper Sunday committed suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle in his camp in Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The incident took place in the 118 CRPF battalion complex in Gund village in the northern district of Ganderbal. The trooper was identified as constable Satyadan Meena.
"We are investigating the matter," a police officer said here.
Incidents of suicides and fratricidal shootouts have been reported among paramilitary and soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir since the separatist violence began 20 years back.
Long separation from families, hostile environment and lack of recreational facilities are often cited as reasons for the suicides and killings.
Counsellors have suggested periodic leaves, recreational facilities in the camps and better command and control structure as remedies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video