CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir
Srinagar: A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper Sunday committed suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle in his camp in Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The incident took place in the 118 CRPF battalion complex in Gund village in the northern district of Ganderbal. The trooper was identified as constable Satyadan Meena.
"We are investigating the matter," a police officer said here.
Incidents of suicides and fratricidal shootouts have been reported among paramilitary and soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir since the separatist violence began 20 years back.
Long separation from families, hostile environment and lack of recreational facilities are often cited as reasons for the suicides and killings.
Counsellors have suggested periodic leaves, recreational facilities in the camps and better command and control structure as remedies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video