CRPF troopers defuse bomb on Jammu-Srinagar NH
Srinagar: Alert troopers of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Thursday averted a major tragedy on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway by timely detecting and defusing an improvised explosive device (IED), an official said.
"Troopers of the 24 Battalion detected an IED planted in a culvert on the Jammu-Srinagar highway Wednesday night," CRPF Inspector General (Operations) B.N. Ramesh told reporters here Thursday.
"The explosive device was defused around 12.10 a.m. Thursday with the help of a bomb disposal squad and a dog squad," he added.
Ramesh said the timely detection of the bomb averted a major tragedy on the National Highway No.1A.
Asked whether the target of the IED were the pilgrims on the annual Amarnath Yatra, the CRPF inspector general said, “I cannot say whether the IED had been planted to target the yatris or any other vehicle. Our duty is to ensure safety of everybody who is using the highway."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi