CRPF troopers defuse bomb on Jammu-Srinagar NH
Srinagar: Alert troopers of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Thursday averted a major tragedy on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway by timely detecting and defusing an improvised explosive device (IED), an official said.
"Troopers of the 24 Battalion detected an IED planted in a culvert on the Jammu-Srinagar highway Wednesday night," CRPF Inspector General (Operations) B.N. Ramesh told reporters here Thursday.
"The explosive device was defused around 12.10 a.m. Thursday with the help of a bomb disposal squad and a dog squad," he added.
Ramesh said the timely detection of the bomb averted a major tragedy on the National Highway No.1A.
Asked whether the target of the IED were the pilgrims on the annual Amarnath Yatra, the CRPF inspector general said, “I cannot say whether the IED had been planted to target the yatris or any other vehicle. Our duty is to ensure safety of everybody who is using the highway."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why