Curbs imposed on traffic, pedestrians in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities Sunday imposed restrictions on pedestrian and vehicular traffic in five areas of Srinagar city as a separatist march was scheduled.
The district magistrate of Srinagar has issued an order under Section 144 of the Indian Penal Code, barring any gathering of five or more people at a time, in the old city areas of Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj and Safa Kadal.
"These are the preventive measures to maintain law and order in the city," a senior police officer told IANS here.
Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, who heads the moderate separatist Hurriyat group, was put under house arrest in his uptown Nigeen residence here.
Separatists have called for a march to the martyrs` graveyard in Naqashband Sahib area of the city Sunday to commemorate the martyrdom of 21 people killed July 13, 1931, in a firing incident outside the central jail in Srinagar by the Dogra forces.
The martyrs of 1931 firing incident were buried in the graveyard in the Naqashband Sahib shrine complex.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers have been deployed in the old city areas, where restrictions have been imposed both on pedestrians and traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan