Curbs in Srinagar to foil separatist protests
Srinagar: Authorities on Friday imposed curfew like restrictions in parts of Srinagar and some towns in the Kashmir Valley to foil separatist protests.
A police officer told a news agency that Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code was imposed in areas including Rainawari, Nowhatta, Safa Kadal, Soura, Maisuma, Shaheedgunj and Batmaloo.
Similar restrictions banning the assembly of four or more people have been clamped in Jammu and Kashmir`s northern towns of Sopore, Baramulla and Bandipora.
Although police officers try avoid using the word `curfew` for the restrictions, no pedestrian or vehicular movement is being allowed in the areas.
The Kashmir University has postponed all examinations scheduled for Friday. An official said new dates would be announced later.
Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani and the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front have asked people to stage protests Friday against the hanging of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
They also want the Indian government to hand over Afzal Guru`s body, now buried in Delhi`s Tihar Jail, to his family.
Authorities fear violence after the Friday prayers in "sensitive areas" of the city.
Director General of Police Ashok Prasad said no one will be allowed to breach the law.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel have been deployed in the affected areas.
Coils of concertina wire have been placed to block traffic intersections in Old Srinagar to block passage of pedestrians and vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?