Curbs on Muharram processions hits life in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities on Wednesday imposed restrictions in some areas of Srinagar city to prevent Shia Muharram processions.
"Restrictions have been imposed by district magistrate of Srinagar in Kothibagh, Maisuma, Batmaloo, Karan Nagar and Sheheedgunj areas today (Wednesday)."
"Vehicular movement and pedestrian passage has been restricted in these areas, although there is no restrictions on movements of patients and other emergencies," a senior police officer told a news agency.
Huge jams at all the major and minor traffic junctions here delayed commuters and office-goers for hours as security men spread coils of concertina wire on the roads to prevent entry into areas placed under restrictions.
Authorities have been since the early 1990s disallowing Shia Muslim processions during the Muharram month to prevent anti-social elements from fomenting trouble.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Extremists in India, Pakistan think military action is only solution to Indo-Pak conflict: Sudheendra Kulkarni
- 7th Pay Commission: All you should know
- Terrorists barge into BJP leader's residence in J&K's Chadoora, snatch AK-47 rifle from his PSO
- Mysore royal wedding: Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja's wedding attire was designed by Pramoda Devi. Know more facts
- Karnataka Police records statement of nursing student