Curfew continues in Kashmir Valley

Kashmir Valley has been in grip of violent protests since June 11 when a 17-year-old boy was killed.

Srinagar: Curfew remained in force in all major towns of the Kashmir Valley on Thursday even as the separatists called for a break in their agitational programme.

Hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani had yesterday modified his protest schedule to exempt today and tomorrow from the agitation alleging that the Government was putting people at hardship by imposing indefinite curfew.

Curfew was relaxed in a phased manner across the Valley yesterday.

"The curfew in almost all the areas of the Valley has been relaxed in a phased manner. The Government is aware of the problems of the people and necessary steps are being taken to ease the problems," official sources said.

A police spokesman said there are no reports of any untoward incident from any where in the Valley so far.

Curfew restrictions continued to remain in force for the 12th consecutive day in all the major towns of Kashmir Valley, including the entire Srinagar city.

The other towns include Warpora, Mirgund, IG road, Nadir Gund, Budgam town, Choon, Humhama, Wattdara, Gogoo, Ompora, Narkara, Shiekhpora, Galwanpora, Chadoora, Panzan, Nagam, Machawa, Kralpora, Wathora, Dawlatpora, Hassipora,
Alamdar Colony, Charar-i-Shareif in central Kashmir`s Budgam district.

Kangan and Ganderbal towns in the north east of Srinagar, Anantang, Bijbehara, Kulgam town Qoimoh, Pulwama town, Kakapora, Shopian town, Awantipora, Lethpora, and Pampore in South Kashmir and Baramulla town, Delina, Pattan, Singhpora, Kunzar, Palhalan, Tangmarg, Sopore town, Wattergam, Kralpora, Trehgam, Kupwara town, Handwara town, Kulangam, Chotipora, Bandipora town, and Sumbal in north Kashmir also remained under curfew.

Curfew was imposed in Srinagar city on September 12 and was extended to the entire Kashmir Valley next day following widespread violence.

Kashmir Valley has been in grip of violent protests since June 11 when a 17-year-old boy was killed after he was hit by a tear smoke shell during clashes at Rajouri Kadal in
interior city.