Curfew continues in Mendhar border town
Jammu: Curfew remained in force in Mendhar town of Poonch district for the ninth day on Thursday.
Curfew was imposed in the town after three persons were killed in police firing to quell a mob trying to set ablaze a missionary school while protesting the alleged desecration of a holy book in the US on Wednesday last.
Curfew was relaxed for 3 hours from 5 pm to 8 pm in Mendhar town last evening, which passed off peacefully.
"The law and order situation is peaceful in Mendhar and Poonch. Adequate security has been deployed in the sensitive areas of the district", district development commissioner, Jammu, Kuldeep Khajuria said.
Khajuria said security has been increased in the district and additional police deployed in the sensitive areas to maintain law and order ahead of the verdict in the Ayodhya
title suits case tomorrow.
Police has been directed to deal with the situation with a firm hand to maintain peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal