Curfew continues in Mendhar
Jammu: Curfew remained in force in
violence-hit Mendhar town of Poonch district for the eighth
day on Wednesday even as it was lifted in Poonch border after a
slight improvement in the situation there.
Curfew was imposed in Mendhar town last week after
three persons were killed in police firing to quell a mob
trying to set ablaze a missionary school while protesting
against the alleged desecration of a holy book in the US.
"Curfew is continuing in Mendhar border town. But it
has been lifted in Poonch town completely as law and order
situation has shown improvement," police officials said today.
Curfew was relaxed for 2 hours in Mendhar town yesterday
Meanwhile, panic struck Mendhar after some unidentified
persons exploded a bomb in the house of a cop late yesterday
Some unidentified persons threw a crude bomb made of
gelatin sticks into the house of police constable Rakesh Kumar
in Curfew bound Mendhar town late last night, police officials
said here today.
A case has been registered, they said, adding, the
incident was aimed to trigger trouble in the town.
In Poonch, curfew was imposed after violent protests
broke out against the alleged desecration last week.
"The law and order situation is peaceful in Mendhar
and Poonch. Adequate security has been deployed in the
sensitive areas of the district", District Development
commissioner Jammu region Kuldeep Khajuria said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'